Fenland primary school finds novel way of filling library with new books
PUPILS and staff at a Fenland primary school dressed up as their favourite book and film characters as part of a novel way to fill the school library with new books.
Instead of being asked for the traditional �1 to come to school in fancy dress everyone at Coates Primary School donated a book to the library.
Head teacher Joanne Tomlins, dressed as Cruella de Ville, said: “We’ve just had new bookcases put into the library and realised we needed more books. One of the children suggested a dress up day with a difference and the special day was the result.
“It was a huge success with everyone taking part, and in amazing generosity over 600 books have been donated to the library. We had all sorts of characters at school including eight Snow Whites, six Rainbow Fairies, five Harry Potters and three Incredible Hulks.”
The school held a special assembly for parents and friends where teachers read extracts from their favourite books and prizes were awarded for the best home-made costumes.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Hills has children at the school and attended the assembly. She said
“It was really wonderful. My girls had been planning their outfits for weeks and were so excited when they arrived at school to see all their friends and teachers dressed up. There was such a lovely atmosphere and it was great to see the effort that everyone put in to making the day one that we’ll all remember for a very long time.”
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Students highlight road safety in new films
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 8 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 9 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
If anyone would like to donate unwanted books in good condition, contact the school on 01733 840527.