Fenland pupil praised by top children’s author
A TOP children’s author has praised a young Wimblington writer.
John Gordon, who has penned novels such as The Giant Under the Snow, The House on the Brink and Fen Runner, held a competition at Wisbech Grammar School to find the best short story.
He picked out Jasmine Clench’s seven-page tale, entitled Unbelievable, as the best the school had to offer.
It was about a young girl who got stuck in a wood and was written in the style of a fairy story.
The 12-year-old said she was “pleased and quite surprised” to win, adding: “I did not think it was that good.”
You may also want to watch:
It took her one week to write the masterpiece.
Mr Gordon set all entrants the task of writing a story set in the Fens.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
He said he was surprised by the students’ inventiveness and impressed by their ability to construct gripping storylines.
In a message to participants, he said: “The Fens are a good place for story tellers. They are an open book waiting to be read. You took full advantage of that in several of your stories.”
Prizes and certificates will be given to Jasmine and the runners up on the final day of the school term.