Fenland pupil praised by top children’s author
A TOP children’s author has praised a young Wimblington writer.
John Gordon, who has penned novels such as The Giant Under the Snow, The House on the Brink and Fen Runner, held a competition at Wisbech Grammar School to find the best short story.
He picked out Jasmine Clench’s seven-page tale, entitled Unbelievable, as the best the school had to offer.
It was about a young girl who got stuck in a wood and was written in the style of a fairy story.
The 12-year-old said she was “pleased and quite surprised” to win, adding: “I did not think it was that good.”
It took her one week to write the masterpiece.
Mr Gordon set all entrants the task of writing a story set in the Fens.
- 1 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 2 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 3 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 8 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
He said he was surprised by the students’ inventiveness and impressed by their ability to construct gripping storylines.
In a message to participants, he said: “The Fens are a good place for story tellers. They are an open book waiting to be read. You took full advantage of that in several of your stories.”
Prizes and certificates will be given to Jasmine and the runners up on the final day of the school term.