Fenland runner aiming to run 40 miles to raise money for Cancer Research UK
RUNNING 40 miles is a tough challenge in itself but one Fenland runner is hoping to go the distance around a 400m track.
Financial advisor Eamonn Dorling, of Whittlesey, is preparing to complete 160 laps of the running track at Jenner Park in Barry, Wales, for the Barry 40 challenge on Sunday.
The 56-year-old, who works at Beacon Financial Limited in Kimbolton, is using the challenge to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
But although the father-of-two has been running since the early 1980s and has completed 20 marathons, he knows his performance on the day will be hard to judge.
He said: “I have been running 60 miles a week and doing 10-mile sessions on the Peterborough Athletics Track.
“I have been trying to discipline myself to run in a line. You want to keep it as tight as you can on a bend, because if you wander off you are adding more distance.
“I am nervous, but I think I can do the distance and I have set myself a five hour target.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 9 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 10 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
“I have known people within my family who have suffered from cancer. We want to help those people who are trying to cure this disease.”
The Barry 40, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, is the longest running annual ultra-distance event in the UK.
Joining Mr Dorling on the day will be his wife Leslie, who will be acting as lap scorer and refreshment manager.
INFORMATION: To sponsor Eamonn Dorling visit www.justgiving.com/Eamonn-Dorling