Fenland clubs and residents raise over £3,000 in memory of junior footballer Kaleb
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of pounds have been raised to help fund the funeral of a junior footballer from the Fens.
A GoFundMe fundraising page was organised by March Park Rangers after player Kaleb Ablett died on December 30 following a short illness.
The initial target was £3,000 since the page was launched last weekend, but now that total has been surpassed.
Sports clubs and Fen residents have come together to help Kaleb's family, including mayor Cllr Rob Skoulding, The Pet Shop in March and March Town FC, who held a minute's silence at their league fixture on Saturday.
After the match, Lindsey Galley, of March Park Rangers posted on Facebook: "Overwhelmed by your generosity today March Town FC. Your support with your donation and minute silence will mean so much to Kaleb's family as it does to us his football family."
You may also want to watch:
In a club statement, Paul Galley, under 9s manager at March Park Rangers, said: "We will make it our aim to ensure that Kaleb will be remembered within the wider football community as this is something that gives his mum, Claire, his sisters, and the family, some comfort at this devastating time."
To donate, visit www.gofundme.com/f/zrnz6-in-loving-memory-of-kaleb-ablett?fbclid=IwAR2LdLCxP963aTaJItrs7vXT-67v821_IbJQiy-T51MK3uf80Wu6vILZI6o. On Sunday, the Hares announced that club president Ray Bennett has died.Bennett, who was 81, was involved with the club for over 50 years including as a player, manager, secretary and treasurer.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour