Fenland teenager shocked after becoming first monthly winner of Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011
‘YOUTH in a million’ Ollie Hutton admitted he was shocked when he realised he’d been named the first monthly winner of the Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011.
The 17-year-old from Wisbech, who suffers from Spina Bifida - a disease which severely limits mobility - has passed his GCSEs and is now studying for a BTEC in Art and Design. He recently had his first piece of art exhibited at the University of East Anglia.
His mum Julie, who nominated him, described him as a “youth in a million” and the judging panel agreed by choosing him as January’s winner.
He said: “I was surprised to be nominated and a bit shocked that I won really. I just try to be as normal as I can I guess.
“It made me realise how much my mum cares about me. She’s always saying she’s proud of me but I wasn’t expecting her to enter me in a competition like this.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to the final but I’m usually a bit shy. It was nice to win and I’ll probably buy some CDs with the money”
The teenager received his trophy and �50 in high street vouchers from reporter Gavin Caney. He will also be in with a chance of becoming the overall winner at our grand final, set to be held in July.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 9 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
• We’re still searching for the young stars across Fenland and we want your nominations. To nominate an individual or youth group either use the coupon on our website or send details of your nomination via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Put Kids Are Alright in the message line and be sure to include your contact details.