Fenland teenager to work with cheetahs during dream Africa trip this summer
A FENLAND teenager will realise a lifelong dream this summer when she spends four weeks working with cheetahs in Africa.
Emma Butler, 17, from Wimblington, will travel to Namibia as part of the work experience section of her BTEC in Animal Management course even though the trip is set to cost around �2,500.
However, financial support from her family and �800 raised through a fete and waxing event has turned Miss Butler’s dream into reality.
“I’ve always wanted to work with cheetahs so I’ll definitely be realising a lifelong dream,” said the student at the College of West Anglia’s Wisbech campus.
“I’m really excited about the trip but of course I’m a bit nervous. It’s such a long way from home and it’s the first time I’ve ever been to Africa or been so close to the cheetahs.
You may also want to watch:
“I was so surprised at the amount I’ve raised and I can’t thank my family, and those who donated enough for their help.”
Miss Butler’s fete at Thomas Eaton Primary School in Wimblington raised �120 while her step dad, Steve Searle and his friend Richard Randall’s waxing efforts, pulled in the rest.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Students highlight road safety in new films
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 8 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 9 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 10 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
Her flight tickets and accommodation have already been paid for but Miss Butler is aiming to raise further funds to help recoup the �1,500 cost of working with the big cats at the Namibia Wildlife Sanctuary in June.
Call Miss Butler - who wants to work in a zoo when she finishes college - on 07766545522 if you would like to add towards her fundraising.