Fenland teenager to work with cheetahs during dream Africa trip this summer
A FENLAND teenager will realise a lifelong dream this summer when she spends four weeks working with cheetahs in Africa.
Emma Butler, 17, from Wimblington, will travel to Namibia as part of the work experience section of her BTEC in Animal Management course even though the trip is set to cost around �2,500.
However, financial support from her family and �800 raised through a fete and waxing event has turned Miss Butler’s dream into reality.
“I’ve always wanted to work with cheetahs so I’ll definitely be realising a lifelong dream,” said the student at the College of West Anglia’s Wisbech campus.
“I’m really excited about the trip but of course I’m a bit nervous. It’s such a long way from home and it’s the first time I’ve ever been to Africa or been so close to the cheetahs.
You may also want to watch:
“I was so surprised at the amount I’ve raised and I can’t thank my family, and those who donated enough for their help.”
Miss Butler’s fete at Thomas Eaton Primary School in Wimblington raised �120 while her step dad, Steve Searle and his friend Richard Randall’s waxing efforts, pulled in the rest.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 6 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 9 Stabbing victim a 'fun loving guy who enjoyed life to the full'
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
Her flight tickets and accommodation have already been paid for but Miss Butler is aiming to raise further funds to help recoup the �1,500 cost of working with the big cats at the Namibia Wildlife Sanctuary in June.
Call Miss Butler - who wants to work in a zoo when she finishes college - on 07766545522 if you would like to add towards her fundraising.