Fenland villagers to vote in council elections in neighbouring village after fire
FENLAND villagers will have to vote in next month’s council elections in a neighbouring village after their hall was severely damaged by a break-in and fire.
Three Holes Village Hall is closed until further notice and all forthcoming events have been cancelled after the break-in this morning.
A West Norfolk Council spokesman said: “Those people who would have voted at Three Holes Village Hall will now have to vote at Lakesend Village Hall.
“We are sending out new poll cards to those people.”
The fire was spotted by Three Holes Village Hall Committee member Sylvia Veal when she was taking her husband Peter to work just after 5am.
You may also want to watch:
They alerted the fire service and two fire engines were soon on the scene.
Rita Cuss, secretary, said: “The full extent of the damage will not be known for some time but the damage to the main areas of the hall is sufficiently severe to prevent use.”
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 5 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 6 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 7 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 8 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Residents make most of lockdown easing as Christmas comes early
She said the committee was keen to let everyone know that the hall will be closed until future notice and all public and private events will have to be cancelled.
Mrs Cuss said the Easter Bingo fund-raiser planned for tomorrow evening will now go ahead thanks to the Outwell Village Hall Committee members who have offered to host the event which starts at 7pm and doors open from 6pm.
Brian Ranger, committee chairman, said: “We’ve had a number of attempted break-ins in the past; it’s so frustrating as nothing of value is kept at the hall.
“I have recently sent off one funding application for more improvements to the hall and have another almost complete and now these will have to be torn up!”
Anyone with an outstanding booking requiring more information should contact Carol Manning on 01945 773961 or check the village hall website www.threeholesvillagehall.weebly.com