Fenland woman, 85, has purse stolen after conman tricks way into her home
A CONMAN tricked his way into the home of an elderly woman by claiming to be investigating a water leak before stealing her purse.
The man knocked on the front and rear door of the 85-year-old woman’s home in Queensway, Chatteris, at around 1.15pm yesterday.
He claimed there had been a water leak on a neighbouring estate and asked to be let in. The woman allowed the man to enter her home and he looked under her sink and in her bathroom before leaving.
A short while later the victim discovered her purse, containing cards and a small amount of cash, had been stolen.
The burglar was described as white, 25 to 30, 5ft 10in, and wearing a dark blue boiler suit and a fluorescent jacket.
Det Insp Jon McAdam said: “This is a despicable crime committed against an elderly and vulnerable victim and I would urge anyone with information to get in touch.”
Police have reminded residents to be on guard to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of a distraction burglary. They’ve also urged all home-owners to check identification cards before allowing anyone suspicious into their property.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Church gets set for annual Christmas tree festival
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DI McAdam on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.