Fenland woman, 85, has purse stolen after conman tricks way into her home
A CONMAN tricked his way into the home of an elderly woman by claiming to be investigating a water leak before stealing her purse.
The man knocked on the front and rear door of the 85-year-old woman’s home in Queensway, Chatteris, at around 1.15pm yesterday.
He claimed there had been a water leak on a neighbouring estate and asked to be let in. The woman allowed the man to enter her home and he looked under her sink and in her bathroom before leaving.
A short while later the victim discovered her purse, containing cards and a small amount of cash, had been stolen.
The burglar was described as white, 25 to 30, 5ft 10in, and wearing a dark blue boiler suit and a fluorescent jacket.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Jon McAdam said: “This is a despicable crime committed against an elderly and vulnerable victim and I would urge anyone with information to get in touch.”
Police have reminded residents to be on guard to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of a distraction burglary. They’ve also urged all home-owners to check identification cards before allowing anyone suspicious into their property.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 Carpenter 'honoured' by thank-you gifts to mark 25 years' service
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 10 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DI McAdam on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.