Fenland woman, 85, has purse stolen after conman tricks way into her home
A CONMAN tricked his way into the home of an elderly woman by claiming to be investigating a water leak before stealing her purse.
The man knocked on the front and rear door of the 85-year-old woman’s home in Queensway, Chatteris, at around 1.15pm yesterday.
He claimed there had been a water leak on a neighbouring estate and asked to be let in. The woman allowed the man to enter her home and he looked under her sink and in her bathroom before leaving.
A short while later the victim discovered her purse, containing cards and a small amount of cash, had been stolen.
The burglar was described as white, 25 to 30, 5ft 10in, and wearing a dark blue boiler suit and a fluorescent jacket.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Jon McAdam said: “This is a despicable crime committed against an elderly and vulnerable victim and I would urge anyone with information to get in touch.”
Police have reminded residents to be on guard to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of a distraction burglary. They’ve also urged all home-owners to check identification cards before allowing anyone suspicious into their property.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 5 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DI McAdam on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.