Fen youngster Liam Garcia, aged 12, becomes Chatteris Tennis Club’s youngest ever player to join Men’s League in 110 year history
- Credit: Supplied / Club
A young tennis player from the Fens has become one of the youngest ever to compete in the region’s Men’s League.
Liam Garcia of Chatteris Tennis Club has joined the league at just 12-years-old, the youngest player to join in the club's 110-year history.
Liam was invited by team captain Matt Sizer to play in their away match against St Neots Men's C Team in the HPT League.
A club spokesman said: "It's proving to be quite an exceptional year for Liam.
"Earlier this year, he won both the club's Junior Tournament and the 'Venue Stage' of the Road to Wimbledon Tournament for 11 to 14-year-old boys.
"The latter he won for the second year in a row, qualifying him to compete in the County Championships Stage against boys two years his senior.
"Liam has now been invited to take part in both the club's Rickwood Cup Mixed Doubles Tournament later this month and in the Men's Doubles Tournament in September."
For more information about the club and how to join, visit: www.chatteristennis.com
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 5 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home