Fenland youth councillors urged to carry on good work as new chair, vice-chair and finance officer elected
- Credit: Archant
Members of a youth council have been urged to carry on their good work and become the political leaders of the future.
Speaking at Fenland’s Youth District Council’s annual general meeting in the Council Chamber at Fenland Hall, Fenland District Council leader John Clark told them: “It’s wonderful to see so many young faces here - and I hope that one day you will take our place when we all head off into the sunset.”
Claire Bennett, from Sir Harry Smith Community College, and Ben Martin, from Wisbech Grammar School, were elected as the new chair and vice-chair, with Sophie Dawson, from Cromwell Community College, becoming the new finance officer.
The young councillors voted to award March Town Cricket Club £500 to help pay for professional coaching sessions for young players at the club’s three-day summer sports festival on July 29-31.
The money has been allocated from the £10,000 grants scheme distributed annually by the YDC.
You may also want to watch:
Outgoing chair Shannon Barrow said the YDC would continue to support events like employability skills days, the Pride in Fenland awards and Golden Age’s electric blanket exchanges.
It would also look to attract more applications for its grants scheme and increase awareness in schools of the YDC’s work.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
Councillor Michelle Tanfield, the cabinet member responsible for the YDC, told the young councillors: “I am incredibly impressed by all that you have achieved over the past year. You are doing a fantastic job and I’m looking forward to working with you all.”
She presented Caitlin Mills and Liam Wallace with special certificates in recognition of their contributions to the YDC over several years.
This year’s YDC grants scheme is now open. For details and to apply call Sharon Dove at FDC on 01354 654321 or email email@example.com