FENLANDER: Boxing star Jordan Gill joins community support team at cricket festival
RISING young boxing star Jordan Gill was a big hit with scores of children last week when he joined Fenland District Council’s community support team for a day of sporting activities marking one year to go before the opening of the London Olympics.
He took part in some light-hearted sparring and talked to them about how sport keeps you fit and healthy, gives you confidence and helps to reduce anti-social behaviour.
FDC attended the three-day March Cricket Festival along with the CrimeBUSter and partners from the Fire & Rescue Service and the police.
More than 200 children aged 7-13 enjoyed fun games and educational sessions on various topics, including anti-social behaviour, bullying, cycle safety and hoax calling.
• A full programme of activities has been developed to help parents keep their children amused over the summer holidays. It includes a series of play sessions, family cinema screenings and story telling across the district.
The programme is being run by groups in partnership with Fenland District Council, the Ormiston Trust and Children’s Centres.
For details, visit www.fenland.gov.uk (Community and Living section) or call Hetty Thornton at FDC on 01354 654321.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
• On August 13 Coldham is staging its fourth annual fun day. It will include a fun dog show, the March Vintage Society display, a birds of prey demonstration and a various stalls. For more information, call David Brand on 01945 860174 or e-mail email@example.com