FENLANDER: Council chamber becomes play area for Magpas fund raiser
A PLACE normally reserved for serious business was transformed into a big play area for a few hours – and it was all in a good cause.
Discussions on winning times and scores took over from the normal political debates when councillors and staff from Fenland District Council descended on the Council Chamber at Fenland Hall to raise money for Magpas, the emergency medical charity.
They competed in model rally car racing, crazy golf and remote-controlled tractor contests and held a very successful raffle. All the proceeds from the morning’s activities were added to those collected earlier through a special “dress down” day held in all FDC centres. A total of �770 was raised.
The events were organised by FDC’s Golden Age team.
Debbie Florence of Magpas said: “We are very grateful to everyone at Fenland District Council who supported the events. It was a great way of raising much-needed funds and increasing awareness of our work. Magpas relies on donations and every penny raised really will help us save lives.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Mac Cotterell, FDC’s Deputy Leader and the portfolio holder responsible for Golden Age, said: “Magpas does a tremendous job and we were delighted to help them – and we had a lot of fun in the process.”
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 6 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 9 Stabbing victim a 'fun loving guy who enjoyed life to the full'
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory