FENLANDER: Council chamber becomes play area for Magpas fund raiser
A PLACE normally reserved for serious business was transformed into a big play area for a few hours – and it was all in a good cause.
Discussions on winning times and scores took over from the normal political debates when councillors and staff from Fenland District Council descended on the Council Chamber at Fenland Hall to raise money for Magpas, the emergency medical charity.
They competed in model rally car racing, crazy golf and remote-controlled tractor contests and held a very successful raffle. All the proceeds from the morning’s activities were added to those collected earlier through a special “dress down” day held in all FDC centres. A total of �770 was raised.
The events were organised by FDC’s Golden Age team.
Debbie Florence of Magpas said: “We are very grateful to everyone at Fenland District Council who supported the events. It was a great way of raising much-needed funds and increasing awareness of our work. Magpas relies on donations and every penny raised really will help us save lives.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Mac Cotterell, FDC’s Deputy Leader and the portfolio holder responsible for Golden Age, said: “Magpas does a tremendous job and we were delighted to help them – and we had a lot of fun in the process.”
- 1 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 2 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 3 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 4 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 5 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 MP takes a tour of school’s £14m transformation
- 8 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 9 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
- 10 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years