FENLANDER: Council chamber becomes play area for Magpas fund raiser
A PLACE normally reserved for serious business was transformed into a big play area for a few hours – and it was all in a good cause.
Discussions on winning times and scores took over from the normal political debates when councillors and staff from Fenland District Council descended on the Council Chamber at Fenland Hall to raise money for Magpas, the emergency medical charity.
They competed in model rally car racing, crazy golf and remote-controlled tractor contests and held a very successful raffle. All the proceeds from the morning’s activities were added to those collected earlier through a special “dress down” day held in all FDC centres. A total of �770 was raised.
The events were organised by FDC’s Golden Age team.
Debbie Florence of Magpas said: “We are very grateful to everyone at Fenland District Council who supported the events. It was a great way of raising much-needed funds and increasing awareness of our work. Magpas relies on donations and every penny raised really will help us save lives.”
Councillor Mac Cotterell, FDC’s Deputy Leader and the portfolio holder responsible for Golden Age, said: “Magpas does a tremendous job and we were delighted to help them – and we had a lot of fun in the process.”
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 10 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys