FENLANDER: Dance mats work wonders for St Peter’s School pupils
THE music starts and all eyes are fixed on the giant screen. The feet begin to move – up, down, across, forward, back, faster and faster...
Welcome to the world of dance mats. They have been going down a storm at St Peter’s Junior School in Wisbech and they’ve been doing wonders for the children.
“They have really helped to develop the children’s coordination and concentration skills,” said senior teacher Emma Heanes. “And they absolutely love them.”
Fenland District Council has loaned the mats and the other equipment to St Peter’s for the whole of the summer term as part of the “Wis Gets Physical” scheme.
They have been used regularly before and after school and within normal curriculum PE lessons. All 232 children have been able to enjoy them, doing 20-minute workouts.
You may also want to watch:
And not just the children. “The staff used them on one of our training days and we often pop in to the after school club to have a go, too,” said class teacher Rachel Baxter.
“The mats are particularly good for children who don’t necessarily enjoy other forms of exercise,” said Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder with responsibility for health and young people.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 6 Carpenter 'honoured' by thank-you gifts to mark 25 years' service
- 7 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run