FENLANDER: Fenland Photographer of the Year competition open for entries
FANCY yourself as a photographer – and can you match these great pictures? If so, now’s your chance to make a name for yourself and help promote Fenland to the rest of Britain.
Fenland District Council and Atelier East have joined forces to launch the “Fenland Photographer of the Year 2012” competition. And the people who come up with the best shots could get them seen all over the country. They could be included in the tourist brochure produced by FDC each year - the “Welcome to the Cambridgeshire Fens, Visitor and Accommodation Guide”. Next year’s edition will play an important part in the council’s current drive to attract more visitors to the district.
The competition has six categories: Heritage and Culture; Churches; Waterland; Outdoor Pursuits; Parks, Gardens and Open Spaces; and Fenland Market Towns.
Entries must be submitted by September 30. Shortlisted photographers will be invited to exhibit with Atelier East at Octavia View in Wisbech throughout December 2011 and January 2012.
The organisers say: “This is a great chance to share your work with thousands of people and to highlight everything that’s great about Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to get people interested in Fenland and promote it in a positive way, so we’d love to see some of the classic views as well as some less known ones too. Your images will help promote tourism in Fenland and should represent your view of Fenland.”
Councillor Jonathan Farmer, chairman of FDC’s Tourism Committee, said: “We are stepping up our efforts to attract many more visitors to Fenland. Next year we will be distributing more of our tourist brochures than ever before and developing a new website.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
“This is a golden opportunity for Fenland photographers to show off their skills and at the same time show off the Fens. Demonstrate your photographic talent and at the same time help us sell Fenland to the rest of the country.”
There will be a special awards evening on December 2. There will be awards for the winners of each category, and the overall winner will be crowned Fenland Photographer of the Year 2012.