FENLANDER: Free food tastings at first ‘love your market’ campaign event
- Credit: Archant
FREE food tastings and other giveaways will be on offer in March market next Saturday (February 16) when Fenland District Council stages the first event in a new “love your market” promotional campaign.
It will be launched at 9.30am by Councillor Pop Jolley, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for markets.
“Is something missing from your local market?” the campaign asks. “Are you?”
Cllr Jolley said: “Today more than ever the challenges from supermarkets and Internet shopping mean we need to re-focus attention on our community markets and back them.
“They play a vital role in supporting the local economy. The footfall they generate boosts the whole town centre, giving other shops and businesses a chance to benefit.
You may also want to watch:
“Markets also provide a different kind of shopping experience. Not only do they enable people to get fresh seasonal produce and a wide range of other goods and services; they also give them the chance to engage in a very personal way with traders and exchange a bit of friendly banter.
“That’s why we’re doing all we can to promote them. The message we want to get across is ’think local, buy local and eat local’.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens