FENLANDER: ‘Give it a Go’ sports day in Wisbech for children aged 8-12
THERE’S a great opportunity for sporty children to try out something new at a free “Give it a Go” day being held at the Hudson leisure centre in Wisbech on October 25.
Fenland District Council has teamed up with three sports clubs to put on one-hour “taster” sessions for 8-12-year-olds in four different sports: football, rugby, swimming and hockey.
Each session will be led by qualified coaches, including ones from Wisbech Acorns, Wisbech Swimming Club and Wisbech Hockey Club. The timetable is: football (10-11am), rugby (11.15am-12.15pm), swimming (12.30-1.30pm), hockey (2-3pm).
Advance booking is essential as places are limited. To book, call the Hudson on 01945 584230.
Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for sports development, said: “Lots of children love sport and do a lot in school but then don’t know how to take it further later on. We want to work with local sports clubs to give them the best chance to carry on playing and improving.
You may also want to watch:
“The idea of ‘Give it a Go’ is to give children a taste of a few different sports and let them try them out with some very good coaches. We hope the day will encourage them to take it on to the next stage by joining a club as a junior member. That will benefit the clubs, too.
“It is all part of creating a strong, long-term sporting legacy.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
The event for the children follows the success of a similar “Give it a Go” day for the over-50s, held at the Hudson in February.