FENLANDER: Gym’ll fix it for tots as new sessions across Fenland encourage children to take more exercise
NEW “Gym Tots” sessions are to be held in centres across Fenland to encourage young children to take more exercise.
The project was launched at the Oasis Centre in Wisbech last week, attended by 29 children and 17 adults.
The sessions are designed to give children aged 2-5 half an hour of fun-packed games and activities that will burn off energy and improve skills such as balance and coordination.
The need for the scheme has been highlighted by the large number of children identified as being above their ideal weight in their reception year at school.
Staff from Fenland District Council, Ormiston Children’s Centres, Cambridgeshire County Council Children’s Centres and the National Childminding Association have been trained to run the sessions. The range of participating organisations means the scheme can be introduced throughout Fenland.
Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for health and young people, said: “The enthusiastic response at last week’s launch shows that there is a big demand for organised activities like this that are not only good for children’s health but also a lot of fun.
“Encouraging physical activity from an early age is a key element in our efforts to tackle problems like childhood obesity.”
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 7 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
Sessions are currently planned at the following places:
Manea: A six-week block of sessions, starting next Wednesday. 9.15-9.45am. Details: Ormiston Chatteris and Villages Children’s Centre (01354 697739). Advance booking essential.
Murrow: Next Thursday. 1.30-2pm. Details: Murrow and District Children’s Centre (01945 701237).
Leverington: Tuesdays (term-time only). 9.15-10am. Details: Murrow and District Children’s Centre (01945 701237).
Wisbech: Thursdays (term-time only), from next Thursday. 9-10am. Details: Oasis Centre (01945 428660).
Those attending the sessions will be given a “Gym Tots @ Home” booklet to help them continue the activities at home.