FENLANDER: Gym’ll fix it for tots as new sessions across Fenland encourage children to take more exercise
NEW “Gym Tots” sessions are to be held in centres across Fenland to encourage young children to take more exercise.
The project was launched at the Oasis Centre in Wisbech last week, attended by 29 children and 17 adults.
The sessions are designed to give children aged 2-5 half an hour of fun-packed games and activities that will burn off energy and improve skills such as balance and coordination.
The need for the scheme has been highlighted by the large number of children identified as being above their ideal weight in their reception year at school.
Staff from Fenland District Council, Ormiston Children’s Centres, Cambridgeshire County Council Children’s Centres and the National Childminding Association have been trained to run the sessions. The range of participating organisations means the scheme can be introduced throughout Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for health and young people, said: “The enthusiastic response at last week’s launch shows that there is a big demand for organised activities like this that are not only good for children’s health but also a lot of fun.
“Encouraging physical activity from an early age is a key element in our efforts to tackle problems like childhood obesity.”
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 4 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 5 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 9 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Sessions are currently planned at the following places:
Manea: A six-week block of sessions, starting next Wednesday. 9.15-9.45am. Details: Ormiston Chatteris and Villages Children’s Centre (01354 697739). Advance booking essential.
Murrow: Next Thursday. 1.30-2pm. Details: Murrow and District Children’s Centre (01945 701237).
Leverington: Tuesdays (term-time only). 9.15-10am. Details: Murrow and District Children’s Centre (01945 701237).
Wisbech: Thursdays (term-time only), from next Thursday. 9-10am. Details: Oasis Centre (01945 428660).
Those attending the sessions will be given a “Gym Tots @ Home” booklet to help them continue the activities at home.