FENLANDER: Hundreds apply for jobs at Morrisons store in Wisbech
HUNDREDS of people are vying for jobs at the new Morrisons store that is due to open in Wisbech within the next few months.
Nearly 1,500 hopefuls turned up for the two open days held at the Boathouse business centre last week. They were given a detailed rundown of the 200 shopfloor jobs on offer before taking away formal application forms.
All applications had to be submitted by the end of last week. Interviews are expected to be held at the end of this month, with the successful candidates likely to be appointed in October.
Staff from Fenland District Council and Jobcentre Plus were on hand to help organise the two days for Morrisons.
Amanda Papworth from Jobcentre Plus said: “Everyone was delighted with the numbers who came on both days. About 90 per cent of those who had expressed interest in attending turned up, which was really impressive, and they were of a high calibre.
You may also want to watch:
“Both days went very smoothly and all the facilities were excellent. We were very grateful for the support given by FDC’s business team and the Boathouse staff.”
Morrisons is hoping to open the new store in time for Christmas.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home