FENLANDER: Local Government Chronicle Awards judges visit Fenland to judge council for this year’s contest
THE judges have been and heard the case - and now Fenland District Council is awaiting the verdict, which is due to be delivered next month.
For the fourth successive year FDC is in the running for “Council of the Year”, the top prize in the Local Government Chronicle (LGC) Awards.
David Clark. Director General of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives (SOLACE), and Andrew Jepp, Head of Local Government for Zurich Municipal, were the men charged by the LGC with assessing the council’s credentials.
They called in briefly on the CrimeBUSter, parked in March town centre, before spending several hours at Fenland Hall meeting senior councillors, staff and members of the public.
The visit culminated in the Council Chamber with a specially assembled “Community Fair” showcasing a range of frontline council services.
You may also want to watch:
Afterwards Councillor Alan Melton, FDC’s Leader, said: “We gave the two judges a good insight into our culture and values and a detailed account of the services we provide.
“Now it’s all in their hands – and we’ll keep our fingers crossed that it’ll be fourth time lucky this year.”
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 9 Stabbing victim a 'fun loving guy who enjoyed life to the full'
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
The results will be announced at a ceremony in London on March 23.