FENLANDER: Moneymadeclear joins Fenland Council’s Golden Age scheme
AN important new partner has joined Fenland District Council’s Golden Age scheme for older people, adding a vital new string to its bow.
Moneymadeclear provides expert financial advice on all aspects of retirement. It has recently launched Your Guide to Retirement, a comprehensive guide to “making the most of your money”, covering everything from pensions and tax to dealing with debt and other common money worries.
Copies will be available at all future Golden Age fairs, starting with the one at Manea on Wednesday, October 27, which runs from 4.30-7pm. They can also be obtained from the Golden Age team on their regular visits to the four Fenland@yourservice shops.
Moneymadeclear is an independent service provided by the UK’s Consumer Financial Education Body (CFEB), which was set up by the Financial Services Authority.
Mary Graham, its regional manager for the East of England, said: “We are totally impartial – no selling, no jargon, just the facts. The world of finance is befuddled with jargon and we aim to cut through that.
You may also want to watch:
“Retirement is something that everyone will have to face sooner or later. It’s a major event that affects every aspect of your life and it’s important to think ahead.
“The key thing is giving yourself enough time to prepare. Our new guide contains a mass of information that is useful for all older people but it is aimed particularly at those who are six to 12 months away from retirement, so that they have time to read, prepare and take action.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 8 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
“It’s about making sure you’re asking all the right questions. On pensions, for example, there are so many options out there that you need to shop around - and that all takes time. People need to feel confident and in control. This guide puts you in the driving seat.”
She thought that Fenland was the first local authority where Moneymadeclear was engaging so directly with older people. “In many respects Fenland is leading the way,” she said.
Councillor Mac Cotterell, FDC’s deputy leader and portfolio holder responsible for Golden Age, said: “We’re delighted to have got Moneymadeclear on board. It is further proof of the way we are continually striving to expand our work. In these tough times it is particularly important that older people have access to all the help they can get and this new service will be invaluable.”
FDC’s mobile gym will be in Manea for the Golden Age Fair on October 27, underlining the theme of this year’s National Older People’s Day – “getting and staying active in later life”.
• For more details, visit www.moneymadeclear.org.uk