FENLANDER: New flood warnings introduced by Environment Agency offering clearer advice
NEW and improved flood warnings have been introduced that are simpler to understand, provide more local information and give people clearer advice on the actions they should take.
The Environment Agency is urging anyone who lives in an area where there is a risk of flooding to make sure that they are properly prepared.
People can check whether they are at risk by visiting the agency’s website www.environment-agency.gov.uk and entering their postcode, or by calling Floodline on 0845 988 1188.
They can also sign up for the free Floodline Warnings Direct service, which will send warning messages to their phones or mobiles or by e-mail or fax.
The new system has three types of warning, depending on the seriousness of the risk:
You may also want to watch:
• “Flood Alert” warns of the possibility of flooding and encourages people to be take early precautions and remain vigilant.
• “Flood Warning” indicates that flooding is expected and people need to take action to reduce its impact and protect themselves and their property.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
• “Severe Flood Warning” will be used in extreme circumstances when there is significant danger to life or risk of serious disruption. It signals that urgent action is required.
These warnings will be used on television weather broadcasts, local radio stations and the internet.