FENLANDER: New free iPhone app brings Scores on the Doors ratings to your mobile while out and about
FENLAND’S Scores on the Doors scheme is proving very popular with people who want to have a meal out – and it’s having a big impact on improving standards in restaurants and takeaways.
So far in 2010 there have been 16,600 hits on the website that shows all the star ratings gained by food businesses at their last inspection. The ratings measure their standards of food hygiene, with premises being scored from zero to five stars. Seventy businesses inspected this year have upped their scores.
Now there’s a new service that makes it even easier to check a place out.
Previously, to find out a score, people could either log on to the website www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk or use a WAP or text service on their mobile phones.
Now, in addition to those services, there is a new iPhone application that means you can get the information while you are out and about deciding where to eat.
You may also want to watch:
If you have the iPhone 3GS and above, all you have to do is point your phone at the premises; the screen display will then show a picture of the eatery, its name and star rating and a map.
All the restaurants and takeaways that are inspected by environmental health officers in Fenland are listed on Fenland District Council’s website, www.fenland.gov.uk under Our Environment/Food Safety.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
To download the new app for free, go to the iTunes appstore and search for Food Hygiene under the lifestyle section or go to http://bit.ly/ukfoodhygiene