FENLANDER: Payne and Ramnoth Schools victorious in latest Wis Gets Physical tournament
PAYNE and Ramnoth Primary Schools came out on top in two closely contested finals in the Wis Gets Physical basketball tournaments last week.
Payne beat Elm Road 2-0 in the final of the Years 5-6 tournament and Ramnoth overcame Leverington 4-2 in the final for Years 3-4.
Altogether 240 children from 12 schools competed in the two tournaments, staged by Fenland District Council at the Hudson leisure centre in Wisbech.
The other schools that took part were Wisbech St Mary, Friday Bridge, Elm, Peckover, Gorefield, Murrow, Kinderley and St Peter’s.
Councillor Ralph Butcher, FDC’s portfolio holder for health and well-being, watched some of the matches. He said: “The standard was very high and everyone should be really pleased with what they’ve achieved in a maximum of 10 weeks’ coaching.
You may also want to watch:
“Sam Darlow and Verity Allen from our sports development team do a fantastic job in encouraging the children to play and enjoy their sport. We need to do all we can to promote a healthy lifestyle from an early age and this is one very important way of doing that.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash