Fenlander: Proposed changes to fares charges by taxis go out to public consultation
PROPOSED changes to the fares that taxis can charge went out to public consultation this week.
People have until April 3 to comment on them. If there are any objections, the proposed fares will go back to Fenland District Council’s Licensing Committee for further consideration.
Otherwise, they will come into force automatically on April 4.The final decision on the new fares must be in place, with or without modification, by May 2.
All hackney carriage drivers must display an up-to-date “Table of Fares” in their vehicles. They must also have installed properly calibrated meters by April 1, as agreed by the Licensing Committee on December 15.
The meters calculate the fare based on the distance travelled and any “waiting time”,’ which includes time when the taxi is stopped in traffic.
You may also want to watch:
FDC sets a maximum tariff but drivers can charge less and may offer special promotional discounts. They can also offer fixed fares for journeys to airports. Private hire fares are not subject to regulation by the council. Customers should agree a fare (or rate per mile) with the operator when booking the journey.
For details of the proposed “Table of Fares” and more information, including ‘How Taxi Meters Work’, visit www.fenland.gov.uk/licensing.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Response forms for the consultation can be downloaded from www.fenland.gov.uk/licensing. Copies can also be obtained from any of the four Fenland @ your service shops or from Business Reception at Fenland Hall in March.