Fenlander: Proposed changes to fares charges by taxis go out to public consultation
PROPOSED changes to the fares that taxis can charge went out to public consultation this week.
People have until April 3 to comment on them. If there are any objections, the proposed fares will go back to Fenland District Council’s Licensing Committee for further consideration.
Otherwise, they will come into force automatically on April 4.The final decision on the new fares must be in place, with or without modification, by May 2.
All hackney carriage drivers must display an up-to-date “Table of Fares” in their vehicles. They must also have installed properly calibrated meters by April 1, as agreed by the Licensing Committee on December 15.
The meters calculate the fare based on the distance travelled and any “waiting time”,’ which includes time when the taxi is stopped in traffic.
FDC sets a maximum tariff but drivers can charge less and may offer special promotional discounts. They can also offer fixed fares for journeys to airports. Private hire fares are not subject to regulation by the council. Customers should agree a fare (or rate per mile) with the operator when booking the journey.
For details of the proposed “Table of Fares” and more information, including ‘How Taxi Meters Work’, visit www.fenland.gov.uk/licensing.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 4 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 5 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 6 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 9 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 10 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
Response forms for the consultation can be downloaded from www.fenland.gov.uk/licensing. Copies can also be obtained from any of the four Fenland @ your service shops or from Business Reception at Fenland Hall in March.