Fenlander: Public toilets in Chatteris closed for improvement works - others to follow
PUBLIC toilets at Furrowfields in Chatteris closed this week and will remain shut for about a month while improvement works are completed to bring them up to modern standards.
It is the first phase in Fenland District Council’s programme to upgrade toilets in each of the four market towns.
The work will create modern, well equipped and family-friendly facilities with individual cubicles. The disabled facility is also being modernised and enlarged. Each cubicle will include baby-changing facilities.
The Station Street toilets in Chatteris remain open while this work is in progress. The Fenland @ your service shop also has a toilet that the public can use during opening hours.
Councillor Peter Murphy, FDC’s portfolio holder for the environment, said: “This investment in public toilets in each of the Fenland towns is very important. It will not only improve the facilities on offer; it will also allow us to continue to provide this important public service at a much reduced cost in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Toilets in Broad Street, March, Church Terrace, Wisbech, and Station Road, Whittlesey, are also included in the improvement plan. They will be closed and modernised over the coming months.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told