FENLANDER: Sporting stars in the line-up for the grand opening of Chatteris Leisure
THE finishing touches are being put to the plans for the grand opening of the new Chatteris Leisure centre and neighbouring all-weather pitch in two weeks’ time.
Peterborough United have agreed to send along one of their first team squad to help formally launch the new facilities on Sunday October 28.
He will join gymnast Louis Smith, the double Olympic medallist, at the official opening ceremony.
Smith was one of Team GB’s heroes at the London Olympics, winning bronze and silver medals.
He also impressed the Strictly Come Dancing judges when he made his first appearance in the BBC television show last weekend. He is seen as one of the favourites to win the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Smith will be the big attraction at the family fun day that is being organised to celebrate the opening of the new facilities, which it is hoped will give a big boost to sport in the area.
Staff from Peterborough United will be running football coaching sessions on the all-weather pitch. The day will also feature a range of family-friendly activities including a climbing wall, inflatable slide, bouncy castle, junior fairground rides, Punch and Judy, face painting and arts and crafts workshops.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Fenland District Council is also using the occasion to relaunch its Sports Stars of the Future scheme.
Chatteris Leisure and the all-weather pitch are partnership projects between Fenland District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council, Chatteris Town Council and Cromwell Community College, with extra support from the Football Foundation.
The leisure centre comprises a 50-station, state-of-the-art gym and dance studio for fitness classes. It has been built at a cost of at a cost of �1.25million. The all-weather pitch has cost a further �1.2million, with the Football Foundation contributing �370,000.
The fun day will run from noon-4pm on October 28, with gates opening at 11.30am.
Councillor Pop Jolley, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for leisure, said: “We’re hoping for a really big turnout on the day to see the fantastic facilities we’ve now put in place in Chatteris.
“About 130 people have already signed up for membership at the centre, which shows the big demand that exists in the area, and we’re sure that will grow over the coming months.”
• For details on membership of Chatteris Leisure, call 01354 616551 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org