FENLANDER: St Peter’s School garden singled out as Wisbech gets ‘5 Bloom’ international rating
THE discovery garden at St Peter’s Junior School in Wisbech has been singled out for special praise by judges in the international “Communities in Bloom” competition.
The judges said the school’s “Our Place” project was “a fine example of a community investing in their future through a programme that focuses on youth’s awareness of their environment and the responsibilities they must share”.
They added: “The work done throughout the school property and especially in the discovery garden demonstrates clearly how school yards can be transformed from standard asphalt surfaces to green ecological classrooms.”
Wisbech was awarded a top “5 Bloom” rating. Describing it as “an alive and vibrant community”, the judges said: “This attractive English town cherishes its heritage while embracing the challenges and opportunities the future holds.”
The results were announced in Canada last week.
You may also want to watch:
Emma Heanes, a senior teacher at St Peter’s School, said: “The whole project has been led by the children. They planned it right from the start a few years ago; since then they’ve worked very hard on it and they’re really proud of it.”
Councillor Peter Murphy, Fenland District Council’s portfolio holder responsible for the environment, said: “To be recognised internationally like this is a fantastic achievement for Wisbech and for St Peter’s. Everyone involved deserves huge credit for their efforts – long may they continue.”
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'