FENLANDER: Work starts of �890k revamp of Whittlesey’s Manor Leisure Centre
THE major revamp of the Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey got under way last week when work began on a new overflow car park.
It is the first stage in an ambitious programme of improvements to be carried out over the next nine months. They will include a new group exercise studio, modern changing rooms and a multi-functional main hall. The swimming pool will also benefit from new flooring, tiered spectator seating and state-of-the-art equipment controlling the heating and water quality.
The improvements are similar to those that have been made at the Hudson in Wisbech and form part of a wider commitment by Fenland District Council to improve the quality of its leisure centres.
Last December the council committed �890,000 to improve all the facilities at the Manor.
Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for health and young people, said: “One of our priorities as a council is to promote active leisure throughout Fenland. That has been identified as one of the key ways of tackling the health inequalities that currently exist in the district.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to encourage more people to be more active more often and that means providing modern, high-quality leisure facilities that are good value for money. This major investment in the Manor underlines our commitment to that.”
The Manor will remain open throughout the time that the improvements are being carried out, with some facilities being closed for short periods.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
Artists’ impressions of what the facilities will look like when the work has been completed are now on display in the centre. Regular updates will also be available at www.fenland.gov.uk/leisure