FENLANDER: Young swimming stars pass tips to youngsters at ‘Give it a Go’ day
THREE of Fenland’s up-and-coming swimming stars turned out to pass on some tips to youngsters at the Hudson leisure centre last week.
Liam Knight, Nick Ilsley and Ellen Williams, from Wisbech, Whittlesey and Leverington respectively, are among the young talents so far identified under the “Sporting Stars of the Future” scheme launched by Fenland District Council earlier this year.
The trio all represent Peterborough Swimming Club and have reached regional or national level. They agreed to help out at the “Give It a Go” day held at the Hudson to encourage children aged 8-12 to make the most of their talent by considering joining a local sports club.
Greg Marsters, coach at Wisbech Swimming Club, said: “It was great to have Liam, Nick and Ellen with us to help inspire the children. There was certainly some potential there and we’d like to see some of those who came along back with us in the future.”
Other hour-long sessions were held in football, rugby and hockey, led by qualified coaches, including ones from Wisbech Acorns and Wisbech Hockey Club.
You may also want to watch:
About 50 children took part in the day, which was organised by FDC.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public