FENLANDER: Youth District Council has grants available for youth groups
YOUTH groups and other organisations working with young people are being encouraged to apply for a share of �10,000 that the Youth District Council has available for grants again this year.
Decisions on the size of the hand-outs and who should get them are taken by the YDC members themselves.
Sollie Davies, the YDC’s finance officer, said: “People can apply at any time between now and next March and we regularly look at applications. But don’t wait too long: once all the money is gone, it’s gone.”
This year the YDC has already awarded �575 to support children and young people’s art activities at the Chatteris Historic Festival; it has also received applications for youth clubs in the district.
Last year it handed out �10,000 in grants to 14 groups. They included:
You may also want to watch:
• The school council at Cromwell Community College in Chatteris to support its anti-bullying campaign (�373)
• March and District Girl Guides for new camping equipment (�1,000)
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
• The Wisbech and Fenland Museum to enable it to lay on holiday arts and crafts sessions (�232)
• The 1220 (March) Squadron Air Training Corps, for new equipment to help the cadets with educational projects and earn extra qualifications (�1,000)
Councillor Steve Garratt, FDC’s portfolio holder responsible for young people, said: “I’m absolutely delighted the YDC is continuing with its grants scheme.
“The money makes a huge difference to all sorts of young people throughout Fenland and the fact that YDC members make all the decisions about where it goes guarantees that it supports the sort of things that young people really want.”