Ferrari museum designers are picked to design a new visitor centre in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
A BLUE chip firm which designed the Ferrari Museum in Italy are among the winning team of a competition to design a new £5m visitor centre planned for the Fens.
A team consisting of Shiro Studio Ltd, Mesh Partnership and Equals Consulting, of London, have been announced as winners of the prestigious Great Fen Visitor Centre competition.
The event attracted 201 entries from across Europe including Wisbech Boathouse business centre designers, Feilden Mawson, who were announced as runners up.
The winning design comprises a contemporary, light and airy centre with large viewing windows in a building clad with charred bog oak.
The visitor centre will be built between Huntingdon and Peterborough between Holme Fen National Nature Reserve and Woodwalton Fen National Nature Reserve, near Ramsey.
You may also want to watch:
Kate Carver, project manager of the Great Fen Visitor Centre, hoped the build would start within the next five years, depending on funding.
“We have a fantastic design that will fit beautifully into the landscape,” she said.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
“Great Fen is one of the most important wildlife projects in Europe and is home to a great variety of wildlife, much of it unique to the area.”
RIBA Competitions managed the design competition on behalf of the Great Fen, a partnership which comprises the Environment Agency, Huntingdonshire District Council, Middle Level Commissioners, Natural England and The Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire.
The visitor centre and surrounding area will transform sweeping acres of Fen landscape into a mosaic of habitat comprising pools, ponds and ditches, reed bed, fen, bog and marsh, wet grassland, dry grassland; woodland and scrub.