Festive cheer on its way for the grand lights switch on in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
The grand switch on of the colourful Christmas lights in Chatteris will take place on Saturday December 2.
The display was established in 1985 and is recognised as one of the most impressive display for miles around, say organisers.
A spokesman for the town’s lights committee said: “It is voluntary and the results of their hours of hard work, before and after the switch on event, are enthusiastically appreciated by the residents and visitors to Chatteris over the festive season.”
“The lights are on daily from 3pm until midnight so you can come into town, wander through the main streets to enjoy them, and then drop in to one of the restaurants, cafeterias, public houses or take-aways for some refreshment.
“The lights have been a great success story from the outset, and with well deserved support from the community, will continue to be so. “Volunteers, donors and fund raisers are always needed.”
You may also want to watch:
There will be traders, street entertainment and fair ground rides, a Christmas fayre and music from the Variante Ensemble in Market Hill Gardens.
There is Santa in his grotto, the tree festival in St Peter and St Paul’s Parish Church and soup in Emmanuel Church in East Park Street.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
The trees are selected from the Elveden Estate to feature in the churchyard and Market Hill Gardens.