Festive feast made possible for young people in Wisbech and March thanks to businessmen
- Credit: Archant
Generous businesses have donated goodies to provide a Christmas Day dinner for young people living in supported accommodation following an appeal on Facebook.
Residents at The Staithe in Wisbech will be able to tuck into a festive feast thanks to March Quality Meats and Coldham Fruit and Vegetable market stall who stepped forward to donate food after seeing the appeal.
Pam Hobbs, who works at The Staithe, said she posted the appeal on the March Discussion Facebook page and had been overwhelmed by the response.
She said: “Staff are pulling out all the stops to come in to make sure everyone has a good day. As well as the food we’ve also had donations of goods to wrap up for presents. We’re very grateful for the support.
“We’ve held raffles to raise money for Christmas too to make sure the day is a success. As we are a charity we rely totally on donations.”
You may also want to watch:
They have been given trees and decorations from Treebank25, a new March-based scheme set up by mum Hayley Dolbear to provide festive cheer for those in need.
The charity runs a homeless hostel in Wisbech for 16 to 25 year olds and has a 10-bed hostel and four move-on flats.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
It also has three shared houses in March for a total of seven young people, all of which are run by the charity, the Cambridge Housing Association.
Lisa Moore, who has helped drive the food donation campaign with Ms Hobbs, said: “The Staithe do an amazing job of turning lives round for young people. To have received such generous donations is brilliant.”