Filming for new Hollywood blockbuster begins in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A TOUCH of Hollywood glamour left its mark in Ely this week as filming began on a major new blockbuster.
Film crews began setting up in Ely Cathedral as early as last Wednesday, with actors and production crews beginning filming scenes from Monday.
It is rumoured, though unconfirmed, that Star of 21 Jump Street and GI Joe, Channing Tatum, and Mila Kunis, who has appeared in Ted and Black Swan, were in Ely for the film, which also stars Lord of the Rings actor Sean Bean.
The film, Jupiter Ascending, is directed by the Andy and Lana Wachowski, the brains behind The Matrix, and tells the story of a young human woman who is targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe. It is due for release in July 2014.
A spokesman for the cathedral confirmed that filming would be taking place, adding that it was “extremely exciting” news for the city.
It is not the first time the cathedral has played host to film crews, with several major motion pictures shot there over the past decade.
Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett shot scenes in Ely, as did The King’s Speech, starring Colin Firth and The Other Boleyn Girl, starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body