Filming for new Hollywood blockbuster begins in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A TOUCH of Hollywood glamour left its mark in Ely this week as filming began on a major new blockbuster.
Film crews began setting up in Ely Cathedral as early as last Wednesday, with actors and production crews beginning filming scenes from Monday.
It is rumoured, though unconfirmed, that Star of 21 Jump Street and GI Joe, Channing Tatum, and Mila Kunis, who has appeared in Ted and Black Swan, were in Ely for the film, which also stars Lord of the Rings actor Sean Bean.
The film, Jupiter Ascending, is directed by the Andy and Lana Wachowski, the brains behind The Matrix, and tells the story of a young human woman who is targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe. It is due for release in July 2014.
A spokesman for the cathedral confirmed that filming would be taking place, adding that it was “extremely exciting” news for the city.
You may also want to watch:
It is not the first time the cathedral has played host to film crews, with several major motion pictures shot there over the past decade.
Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett shot scenes in Ely, as did The King’s Speech, starring Colin Firth and The Other Boleyn Girl, starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November