Final twenty have rhymes aplenty: finalists announced for Fenland Poet Laureate Awards
- Credit: Archant
The finalists for the fifth Fenland Poet Laureate Awards have been announced.
Judges have cast their experienced eyes over 100 entries and picked their final ten entries from two categories, with all twenty poets set to perform at the Poet Laureate Awards Ceremony next month.
The annual competition gives local poets a chance to write a poem for Fenland and compete for the prestigious title of Fenland Poet Laureate.
The competition has two categories: adults (18 and over) and young people (aged 10-17), with ten finalists being picked from each category to perform at the Fenland Poet Laureate Awards ceremony on Friday April 8 at March Town Hall at 7.30pm.
The winners will receive trophies for their linguistic efforts, and the winner in the adult category will also have the opportunity to write poems for regional events and spread the word of creative writing throughout Fenland.
Popular poet and painter John Lyons – commended in the National Poetry Competition – will also perform some of his best work at the ceremony.
Lyons, who has won the Peterloo Asian and Afro-Caribbean Poetry prize, has published seven collections of poetry, including Dancing in The Rain.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
Tickets for the awards ceremony are £3 each (under 10s free). To book your tickets please contact ADeC at 01353 616 991, Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm, or book online at www.wegottickets.com/adec.