Finally 67 homes for Fenland town get approval - but Roddons must pay �52,000 for education
A LONG standing row over the provision of 67 homes for Chatteris has concluded with Roddons Housing Association agreeing to pay �52,000 towards pre-school places.
This will be on top of �64,000 towards play areas on the former Kingsfield Primary School site in Treeway where 34 flats and 33 houses can now be built.
Councillors held back the scheme – despite officer pressure- to ensure Roddons agreed to help pay towards a �122,000 scheme to provide 26 places at Kingsfield Pre-School. The extension can now go ahead with �20,000 coming from a Sure Start New Places grant and external funding of �50,000 agreed in principle from Fens Adventurer funding.
The result was hailed a success by councillors who had originally been recommended by officers to approve the scheme without recourse to a financial contribution from Roddons.
Officers had originally argued that the county council had confirmed the catchment primary and secondary schools had sufficient capacity for a development of this size and were therefore not seeking a section 106 (planning obligation) agreement towards education.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors challenged the figures and although primary and secondary schools were thought to be able to absorb extra numbers, the county council suggested a contribution to pre schooling was justified.
Councillors were told that “Kingsfield Pre-School does not have capacity to meet the expected demand from an additional 67 dwellings”.
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 3 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 4 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 5 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 6 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault