Finishing touches made to the newly revamped March town centre footbridge as it prepares to reopen
- Credit: Archant
A new lick of paint was one of the finishing touches put on to the March town centre footbridge as it prepares to reopen.
The bridge was threatened with permanent closure in the summer of last year.
At the time Fenland District Council announced a 42-day deadline to find the funds so that vital repair work – which was deemed essential for safety reasons - could get underway.
£100,000 worth of funds was eventually allocated through a joint funding approach between Fenland District Council and Snowmountain Enterprises, which owns part of the footbridge, and repair work began in November 2015.
Since then, work has been carried out from the River Nene itself by Drake Towage of Wisbech, a marine engineering company, using a pontoon barge to work from the river.
You may also want to watch:
Before the repair work began, Fenland District Council leader Cllr John Clark said: “The condition of this bridge has caused us concern for a while now.
“Although closure was one of the options, we always understood the importance of this route and looked at all possible ways of keeping it open.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“So I’m delighted that an affordable solution has been found.”
The bridge has been closed since mid-November.
“While the repairs have taken slightly longer than anticipated - the projected completion date was given as mid-January - it is set to reopen in the forthcoming weeks.