Fire chief issues warning after crew called to out of control Chatteris and March bonfires.
- Credit: Archant
Residents have been told to not light bonfires in high winds after crews tackled two out of control bonfires.
At 10.47pm yesterday, two crews from March were called to a bonfire in St Peters Road, March.
A bonfire was out of control and crews used a hose reel to extinguish it.
They returned to their stations by 11.30pm.
At 2.42pm on Saturday, a crew from Chatteris was called to a bonfire in The Hawthorns.
You may also want to watch:
A bonfire had become out of control and crews used hose reels to extinguish it.
They returned to their stations by 3.10pm.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Watch Commander Mark Edgley said: “We would like to remind residents to avoid lighting bonfires in high winds as this makes it very easy for them to become out of control and spread.
“If you are lighting a bonfire, it is important to remember to build it well away from trees, foliage and property and to never leave it unattended.”
Earlier that day, an electricity box caught fire at a home in Doddington.
At 7.14am, one crew from Chatteris and one crew from March were called to reports of smoke coming from an electricity box in Bevills Close.
A fire had broken out involving a domestic electricity box and supply and firefighters used two CO2 extinguishers to put it out.
Crews returned to their stations by 9.05am. The cause of the fire was accidental, by electrical.