Fire chief issues warning after crew called to out of control Chatteris and March bonfires.

PUBLISHED: 09:51 14 April 2015 | UPDATED: 12:29 14 April 2015

Archant

Residents have been told to not light bonfires in high winds after crews tackled two out of control bonfires.

At 10.47pm yesterday, two crews from March were called to a bonfire in St Peters Road, March.

A bonfire was out of control and crews used a hose reel to extinguish it.

They returned to their stations by 11.30pm.

At 2.42pm on Saturday, a crew from Chatteris was called to a bonfire in The Hawthorns.

A bonfire had become out of control and crews used hose reels to extinguish it.

They returned to their stations by 3.10pm.

Watch Commander Mark Edgley said: “We would like to remind residents to avoid lighting bonfires in high winds as this makes it very easy for them to become out of control and spread.

“If you are lighting a bonfire, it is important to remember to build it well away from trees, foliage and property and to never leave it unattended.”

Earlier that day, an electricity box caught fire at a home in Doddington.

At 7.14am, one crew from Chatteris and one crew from March were called to reports of smoke coming from an electricity box in Bevills Close.

A fire had broken out involving a domestic electricity box and supply and firefighters used two CO2 extinguishers to put it out.

Crews returned to their stations by 9.05am. The cause of the fire was accidental, by electrical.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Cambs Times