Fire chiefs issue safety warning after man suffers burns in Wisbech van blaze
FIRE chiefs have today issued a safety warning after a man was injured trying to retrieve possessions from his burning van.
Smoke billowed across Wisbech on Saturday after the van burst into flames in Boleness Road. The driver was taken to hospital with burns to his hands and arms.
A fire service spokesman said the fire was caused by a “mechanical or electrical fault”.
Andy Tucker, Risk Manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We would advise people to get away from fire as quickly as possible.
“They should call the fire service immediately and not put themselves in unnecessary danger.
You may also want to watch:
“Items can be replaced. Your life cannot.”
One fire crew from Wisbech tackled the fire using two hose reels. The van was completely destroyed.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 9 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol