Fire chiefs praise quick-thinking neighbour after dog saved in Fenland blaze
A QUICK-THINKING neighbour has been praised by fire chiefs after a dog was rescued from a blaze in a house last night.
The neighbour spotted the fire in an upstairs bedroom of a terraced house in Queens Street, March, at 8.35pm and immediately dialled 999.
Two crews from the town, and one from Chatteris, attended the blaze to find the bedroom was smoke damaged and smoke had started to spread downstairs.
Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and rescued a dog - which was unharmed - from the property.
The occupants of the house were out of the property at the time of the blaze. The accidental fire was believed to have been caused by a dehumidifier which had been left on.
You may also want to watch:
Mick Jackman, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service’s station commander, said: “Electrical appliances such as dehumidifiers should not be left switched on or plugged in when the house is unattended.
“Fortunately this fire was spotted before it could spread beyond the bedroom and I’d like to praise the neighbour who dialled 999 immediately on seeing the fire.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Crews returned to their stations by 10.20pm.