Fire chiefs urge Fenland residents to keep chimneys swept after Benwick blaze

FENLAND residents are being urged to keep their chimneys swept after firefighters extinguished a blaze at a Benwick home last night.

A crew from Ramsey and the turntable ladder from Dogsthorpe were called to a chimney fire at a home in the High Street at 8:40pm.

Firefighters used the turntable ladder to tackle the blaze, which had ignited between the flue and the wall.

A fire service spokesman said: “Please make sure that you get your chimney swept and the brickwork inspected at least once a year. This will help to prevent a chimney fire.

“For further information and advice contact your local fire station or log on to www.cambsfire.gov.uk”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter