Fire crews who entered Moy Park to tackle ammonia leak begin the decontamination process with roadside showers
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters who earlier had entered a Wisbech factory wearing breathing apparatus and gas tight suits to tackle an ammonia leak begin the decontamination process as they prepare to return to normal duties.
Eleven people were treated by medical teams following the leak at the Moy Park factory Mount Pleasant Road site.
Luckily no one needed to go to hospital.
Cambs fire service deployed their chemical emergency procedure which they had only recently practised during an intensive training exercise in Peterborough.
On Wednesday morning shortly after 8.30am they were called to put that training to work as they entered Moy Park to join onsite specialists in isolating the leak.
You may also want to watch:
As appeals went out to nearby residents to close their windows and shut their doors, fire crews entered the factory to contain the risk.
By 10am Cambs fire service announced the “area is no longer a threat to public safety”.
- 1 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
A spokesman for Moy Park said: “A small ammonia leak was detected from a piece of refrigeration equipment at the factory.
“The piece of equipment is located in a controlled environment within the site plant room.
“A well rehearsed incident plan was followed, the fire service was called to the factory and the leak was quickly contained.”
An ambulance spokesman said: “The eleven people that we assessed had inhaled some of the fumes.
“Thankfully their conditions weren’t thought to be serious and they didn’t require hospital treatment.”
Two crews from Wisbech, one crew from St Neots and a rescue vehicle from Dogsthorpe attended along with fire officers.