Fire in Chatteris town centre
- Credit: Archant
ARSONISTS set fire to a small outbuilding next door to a residential care home in Chatteris town centre.
Police are appealing for witnesses after the barn type building went up in flames on Sunday evening.
Extensive damage was caused to the unoccupied property, which is next door to the Gables in East Park Street.
DC Chris Smith of Cambridgeshire Police, said; “This building hadn’t been used for years but filing cabinets and paper were set alight.”
He said Police believed the fire was started deliberately at about 8pm and are urging anyone who saw suspicious behaviour in the area at that time to get in contact.
You may also want to watch:
A member of the public spotted smoke and called the fire service.
Three firecrews and one turntable ladder crew were called to extinguish the fire which took about two and a half hours to get under control.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Harry Edge, incident commander of Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, said: “When we arrived there were flames coming from the roof of the building and our first concern was stopping the fire from spreading to homes in close proximity.”