Fire-ravaged March cottage set to be demolished - but it could be replaced

A RIVERSIDE March cottage which was gutted by fire is set to be demolished - but it could be replaced with another property.

Hundreds of onlookers watched from the town bridge as fire swept through 7 Nene Parade in March last year.

The historic Grade II listed building was left in ruins and damage was also done to a neighbouring property.

Councillor Fred Yeulett asked what was being done to make sure these “eyesores do not spoil one of March’s premier locations” at Thursday’s meeting of Fenland District Council.

Councillor Jan French, portfolio holder for planning, said: “Unfortunately such was the extent of the damage to the fabric of the building that restoration has been unfeasible and listed building consent to demolish has been granted.


You may also want to watch:


“Currently this is pending archaeological liaison between the owner, via his agent, and the county council.”

She added: “It is FDC’s understanding that once this demolition has been completed, replacement dwelling options will be considered by the owner.”

Most Read

Councillors heard that the owner of the cottage had kept the council fully informed and made “every effort to progress matters as speedily as possible”.

But Cllr French said the owner of 8 Nene Parade, which is thought to have been empty for a number of years, had failed to contact the council and concerns about the “condition and security” of the property had been raised.

She said: “FDC will make a further assessment of the situation once the future plans for number seven are established and will do everything possible to bring both these properties back into positive use.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter