Fire service issues warning after Whittlesey flat fire

PUBLISHED: 09:45 02 February 2015 | UPDATED: 09:45 02 February 2015

Archant

People are being warned to keep their electrics “in good working order” after a flat caught fire in Whittlesey yesterday.

At 10.16pm, one crew from Whittlesey, one crew from Stanground and one crew from Dogsthorpe were called to a flat in Syers Lane.

Smoke was issuing from a first floor flat in a two-storey property. No one was inside the property at the time.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to extinguish the fire.

Crews returned to their stations by 12.40am.

The most likely cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, caused by a light fitting.

Station Commander Matt Murdoch said: “Keeping your electrics in good working order and regularly checked by a qualified electrician is something we would encourage all homeowners and businesses alike to do on a frequent basis.

“Most importantly, we would like to take this opportunity to remind residents to ensure they have a correctly fitted working smoke alarm that is tested regularly.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Cambs Times