Fire service issues warning after Whittlesey flat fire
- Credit: Archant
People are being warned to keep their electrics “in good working order” after a flat caught fire in Whittlesey yesterday.
At 10.16pm, one crew from Whittlesey, one crew from Stanground and one crew from Dogsthorpe were called to a flat in Syers Lane.
Smoke was issuing from a first floor flat in a two-storey property. No one was inside the property at the time.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to extinguish the fire.
Crews returned to their stations by 12.40am.
You may also want to watch:
The most likely cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, caused by a light fitting.
Station Commander Matt Murdoch said: “Keeping your electrics in good working order and regularly checked by a qualified electrician is something we would encourage all homeowners and businesses alike to do on a frequent basis.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
“Most importantly, we would like to take this opportunity to remind residents to ensure they have a correctly fitted working smoke alarm that is tested regularly.”