Fire service plea for Fenland residents to sweep chimneys after fire at village home

FIREFIGHTERS pleaded with residents to have chimneys swept at least once a year after tackling a blaze at a Fenland village home.

Crews from Wisbech and Dogsthorpe in Peterborough were called to Long Drove, Murrow, on Saturday afternoon to a chimney fire.

They used chimney gear to extinguish the blaze and were at the scene for about three hours.

A fire service spokesman said in a statement: “Chimney fires are all too common at this time of year, and can be prevented by regularly inspecting the chimney for blockages and cracks, which can easily cause a fire to start.

“You should have your chimney swept at least once a year.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus