Firefighters complete floodwater rescue after van driver ignores road closure at Wash Road, Welney
FIREFIGHTERS were today called to rescue a van driver who became stuck in floodwater after ignoring road closures at Welney.
The man flouted the road closed sign at the A1101 Wash Road and became stranded shortly before 2.30pm.
Two fire crews, from Wisbech and Littleport, attended and firefighters used dry suits to enter the water. An inflatable rescue sled was also used to bring the man to safety.
John Chelton, watch commander at Wisbech Fire Station, said: “This man had driven through a road closure sign and then got stuck in floodwater.
“These incidents tie up the resources of the fire service and could very easily be avoided if drivers obeyed the road closures.
You may also want to watch:
“Ignoring road closures by driving through flood water is very dangerous as it is impossible to know how deep the water is and whether there are any hazards under the water that could leave you stranded.”
Crews spent about two hours completing the rescue.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government