Firefighters tackle blaze at Fenland garden centre

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a Fenland garden centre this morning.

One crew from Thorney was called to the fire at Old Causeway Garden Centre, Wisbech Road, Thorney, at 7.15am.

Firefighters arrived to find a bonfire had spread setting alight about 20 square metres of conifer hedge. One hose reel was used to extinguish the blaze and the crew returned to their station by 7.40am. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Ian Matthews, watch manager for Thorney station, said: “If you are going to have a bonfire ensure it is well away from trees, fences and other flammable items. “Never leave a bonfire unattended and ensure you have a bucket of water or hosepipe handy in case it gets out of control.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter